Tuesday, November 29, 2016

WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD







The end of another year brings about a time for renewing values and goals while reflecting on the past. 2016 has been a trying year for everyone, even children and the elderly.  However, we have survived the year, the election is over, and we are faced with an uncertain future. As I think back over the years, I remember the same reflections and anxieties followed all changes in our world. So with confidence I look forward to the future expecting all is well. God is in control and the sun will rise tomorrow. I’m beginning my fourth year residing in New Orleans. A city defined by its art and music, I have written several poems inspired by its charm and history, but I cannot compete with the haunting beauty and magic of a ballad written by Robert Thiele and George David Weiss, WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD. First recorded in 1967 by New Orleans’ own talented musician, the great Louis Armstrong, the melody echoes in my mind as I remember the gruff, powerful style of Mr. Armstrong as he smiled singing out, as only he could do, the awesome lyrics of the lovely ballad. The music expresses the theme that, although knowledge and education are important, only love and appreciation for the priceless treasures of life make the world a wonderful place. As you read these simple, inspiring words, let them speak to your heart.

                       I see trees of green, red roses too
                       I see them bloom for me and you
                       And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

                        I see skies of blue and clouds of white
                        The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
                        And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

                         The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
                         Are also on the faces of people going by
                         I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
                         They're really saying I love you.

                         I hear babies crying, I watch them grow
                         They'll learn much more than I'll never know
                         And I think to myself what a wonderful world
                         Yes, I think to myself what a wonderful world.

As I reflect on these thoughts, I realize how vital a positive attitude is to our health and mental well-being. As I continue the December of my life, I resolve to rise up each morning with thanks to God for trees of green, skies of blue, birds singing, babies crying, friends and family loving me, and Louis Armstrong’s echoing melody drifting on the breeze to remind me WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD I am blessed to enjoy. I wish everyone a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.


          

No comments:

Post a Comment