Saturday, January 7, 2017

THE G-NOTE ROAD





    

    With the beginning of a new year, it’s time to review the past and make resolutions for the future again. Only seems like yesterday that these thoughts plagued my aging memory. I remember with pleasure the holidays of the past, the good times, the sad times, and the host of friends and loved ones with whom these memories were shared. So many have passed on. The January calendar marks several sad days for me. I lost my Dad in 1974, my brother in 2005, my husband in 2010, and my sister in 2015 leaving a shadow over the January winter days and sadness that is forever embedded in my heart.
    However, dwelling on sadness and melancholy can affect one’s health and well-being and cause depression.  For this reason, I choose instead to be grateful for the wonderful, happy times stored in my memory. Although I’m certainly showing optimism when I make resolutions for the next year considering I’ve been making them for decades, I find age doesn’t diminish one’s desire to look ahead. I recall my mother shortly before her death at 81 telling me her thought patterns continued somewhat the same as when she was 60 years of age. She didn’t worry about whether she would wake up tomorrow. I admit I do have moments when I wonder…
    In viewing the amazing winter wonderland scenes on TV and in pictures this season, I confess to nostalgia knowing that I will never see snow again. Although I remember how difficult heavy snowfall can be for the work or school day, I always loved the beautiful scenes. Pictures and paintings are wonderful to enjoy, but standing in the midst of the silence of newly fallen snow is awe inspiring.  I love the picture of the snow-covered road stretching like a crystal ribbon to the horizon. 
    I’m reminded of an old 1943 movie of the silver screen era, entitled High Barbaree with Van Johnson and June Allison, in which the hero, as a young boy, speaks of a road that leads out of his rural community. He remembers the sound of the G-Note on the piano as his mother strikes the key listening to it vibrate for a long moment disappearing into silence. He names the road the G-Note Road because no matter how long he travels down the road, it never ends. It only disappears into the horizon as the G-Note lingers becoming less audible, finally, disappearing into silence.
    Life is somewhat like that G-Note Road. We travel the road keeping our eyes on the goals ahead, but no matter how many years pass, the road is still ahead. We pass one goal, set another, and continue onward until we finally cross the horizon into eternity. When we begin our journey, we learn to follow the map (through proper parenting) choosing how to proceed. I chose to follow the Christian example, serving God following his roadmap, the scriptures, with my final goal, the Gates of Heaven. I’m grateful to my family for their example.
     As I look ahead, I see the road still spread before me with goals to achieve, bumps to be endured, and a sense of awe as future events unfold along the way. God will show me the turn I must make when the road ends for me. I don’t need to know when; I just need to prepare and graciously accept my fate. Meanwhile, I see a lovely G-Note Road ahead lined with trees of green, skies of blue, and wonderful people to accompany me on the journey. I look forward to the challenge of 2017 and the G-Note Road to guide me.



            

No comments:

Post a Comment