Friday, May 6, 2016

ASAP - ON THE SOAPBOX AGAIN


While surfing the internet, I discovered a new definition for the acronym, ASAP. Such discoveries are certainly commonplace and often fall into useless trivia. However, this one tickled my curiosity and set me to thinking.

We live in a hurried world filled with acronyms, texting and chat room slang, as well as condensed books, online newspapers, and radio news alerts.  We eat condensed and microwaved food, dress in wash and wear clothes, take weekend vacations, and survive with same day surgeries.  Our mentality has grown to expect education through seminars, childcare through television and computer games, nurturing relationships through chat rooms, and nutrition through the fast food line at McDonalds.

Of course, I’m as guilty of enjoying the shorthand world as any time-challenged member of society.  However, I stopped to consider the new meaning of ASAP when it appeared on my email, yet another form of quick communication.  In the great scheme of things, the acronym is harmless, clever, and almost cute. The sender indicated that I should forward this delightful bit of trivia to at least twelve friends.  Because of the subject matter, wonderful things would happen to me in the form of favor with God.

This type of persuasion is as prevalent as the common cold and as annoying to me. I give of my time and talents to God regularly and really don’t expect special attention from Him. I understand how God works in my life, and I accept His gifts and promises which I believe to be life’s physical and spiritual needs and, eventually, eternal life. I really doubt He cares if I send twelve messages to my friends, especially since the message is limited in inspiration, and He hasn’t promised to reward me for such behavior.
 
He has left marching orders for me in His Word commanding that I spread His Gospel through evangelizing and teaching others (Mark 16:15).  Networking is certainly a method of teaching, but I don’t expect or believe there will be miraculous rewards following a mailing of a canned prayer.

Are you, as yet, tempted to hack into my computer and infect me with a virus? I do intend to share the acronym ASAP, Always Say A Prayer.   This bit of information was followed with the suggested prayer of only 32 words as my plea to God, and the advice to forward immediately. Probably some readers are impressed, but I prefer to choose my own words of 32 more or less when I talk to God. Oh well, I have always been cavalier about staying in step with the rest of the world.

So, dear reader, please do not be offended if you do NOT receive a note from me (as requested in the email), or that I will NOT add another ASAP as the cyberspace host urges. And I will NOT promise to send twelve prayer requests using the 32 or more words included.  I certainly encourage my friends to pray at every opportunity as I do, choosing my own words, and forgive me, but I never thought to count them.  Apostle Paul advocated to “pray without ceasing” in his letter to the Thessalonians in 1Th.5:17. So that’s all for the Soapbox today.


No comments:

Post a Comment