Friday, April 15, 2016

A MAGICAL PLACE - IMAGI-NATION

With universal problems engulfing us, I often feel discouraged, and the mood drifts through my pen possibly discouraging others as well.  I apologize for that attitude. We all have bad days. As I think about the beautiful day outside my window this morning, I’m awed at how clean and green the real world can be. Since writing is my passion, my thoughts are destined to slip though my pen and betray my character, emotion, and faith.  And in that same vein, I wish to share a bit of frivolous philosophy, and at the same time, ask if others have similar views.

Included in a book of poetry recently published, Rambling In Rhyme, is a poem written earlier in my life entitled, It’s Only Make Believe.  In reviewing and editing the poem, I realized I may have more than one citizenship in this world, probably three. I’m first and foremost a citizen of the Kingdom of God, doing my best to serve Him faithfully; secondly, I’m a citizen of the USA, born into that relationship by reason of geography, a fact that I’m forever grateful to have enjoyed for more than eight decades.  However, as a writer, I find myself to be a citizen of another nation, one shared by all creative minds whether it’s the written word, artist’s palette, the musician, or any one of dozens of creative ventures found among us – that of Imagi-Nation.

I have vivid memories from early childhood of visiting this place, and I recall friendships that lasted for long periods, perhaps disappearing only as I grew to a different level of maturity.  Traveling to Imagi-Nation is the shortest, least costly trip you will ever take.  You won’t need a ticket, new wardrobe, or a companion for this trip.  Just close your eyes, climb on a train, plane, or ship to any destination you choose.  Even a spaceship to the unknown.  You can stay five minutes or five hours – time is not measured or used in Imagi-Nation.  It simply exists along with all the other trimmings.  You can live in a mansion with lovely décor, shop in the finest, most elegant stores – and it’s free.  Wear the most delightful gowns with fine gems – the most elegant you can conjure up in your mind. You bask in perfect relationships without dispute – unless you want to argue and fight – and, of course, you can always win. 

In Imagi-Nation, you are perfect, happy, and in charge of everything. You can go there instantly, and interrupt the visit for a moment of reality, if you must, or you can just stay as long as your real life will allow.  You can visit Imagi-Nation no matter where you are in real life, the doctor’s office waiting room, middle of the night when you can’t sleep, at a boring business meeting or seminar, or simply relaxing in the back yard swing on a lovely afternoon.  You can be the perfect picture of health, the  most beautiful person  in the room, the smartest scholar in the board room, the pilot of an airplane, an astronaut on the way to Mars, a nurse or brain surgeon, the possibilities are limitless in Imagi-Nation. You can even be the President of the United States – although that is one place I never thought I would want to live – have thought of being a princess in a royal family, however.  The only qualification for being a citizen of Imagi-Nation is the ability to close your eyes and dream – like a movie rolling past your mind.  You can stop the film and return anytime.


All writers must be citizens of Imagi-Nation.  It’s the place where ideas are born, where music is created, and artists find inspiration. It’s the place where the sick can find health, the grieved can find comfort, the depressed will find peace, the lonely will find companionship, the elderly will find youth, and the young will find motivation and inspiration.  Close your eyes, smell the scent of a lovely rose garden, relax, and enjoy a visit to Imagi-Nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment