Friday, April 22, 2016

NEWS MEDIA MANIA

Scrolling through social media can be an exhausting and frustrating journey.  Once upon a time, I thought of social networking as fun and a pass time filled with fellowship and keeping in touch with friends at a distance.  Lately, since the advent of 2016 elections, the fun has disappeared into divisive, radical, mean-spirited posts.  The chief advantage of this method of communication is the tendency to use pseudonym as cover.  I certainly agree that we must stay informed through all media methods of communicating current events.

However, reading through comments about controversial history, racial situations, and current events on almost any subject raises doubt in my mind that I live on the same planet where I received my values and education.  I’m not sure when and where it all changed.  Have we rewritten the history books? Where do some of these facts originate? Where is the tolerance for ideas and opinions that may differ? Why do you have rights and privileges that you propose to deny me? What is the reasoning for destroying or denying historical events?  Why do we wish to eliminate icons that may not reflect the most positive view of our country’s history?  Simply burying the evidence will not change the facts.  Perhaps we need to remember, and certainly the physical evidence will keep the facts at hand – good or bad.

Actually, digesting many of these opinions is difficult to tolerate.  I’m the first to admit that much of the commentary on television is possibly biased, and I’ll judge the content by my standard.  However, I’ll vigorously battle for the right for that commentary to be heard.  I’m under the impression this idea is called “freedom of speech.”  Although I may be tempted to “wash your mouth out with lye soap,” when you “stoop” to gutter language.

I’m a conservative Christian, and I offer no apology for my values. In my view, the nation has digressed in recent years, and many are fooled into believing the progressive liberal world is a better place.  Future generations will reap the consequences of this reasoning. 

Today, I read a thread of chatter on Facebook that brought progressive philosophy to light in broad terms with colorful language – seems to be the only method of expression the progressive possess.  My parents taught me that the use of expletives is a mark of ignorance of proper language. It occurs to me that language is only ONE of the missing elements of this generation’s education.
 
Commentary by FOX News appears to ignite much of the discussion.  Of course, their commentators lean to the right, but they do have opinions of left-leaning in every debate.  I don’t always agree with the commentator.  CNN, the supposed left-leaning media, operates in the same manner.  And, of course, as viewers, we have the privilege to change the channel anytime we wish.  Why would you frame your philosophy solely through the knowledge gained from the news media, college professors, or political/cultural authors who flood the book shelves with their rhetoric? The wise audience listens carefully, weighs the rhetoric in the balance of facts, and evokes common sense judgement.

Here’s an idea.  We have libraries filled with volumes to research history, government, culture – any subject imagined.  Why do we trust media opinion? Why not learn for ourselves?  We won’t find answers on the internet or political publications.  We must be quick to learn; history is being rewritten by those same pundits we tend to trust in the media. If they don’t like the history of an event, they simply rewrite.  Checking facts at the original source will teach the current crop of progressives that those without knowledge of history will be destined to repeat the same mistakes.  America is on a journey to destruction from within.  Why not be unique innovators – know the facts before we speak.  Sure beats looking foolish, and with  genuine basic knowledge,  old-fashioned wisdom, and a bit of common sense,  some young genius with energy and passion just may become the hero that leads us to a better world.  Meanwhile, we wait…

No comments:

Post a Comment